33rd SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST — Tone 8.
Afterfeast of the Theophany. Sunday after Theophany.
Martyrs Hermylus and Stratonicus of Belgrade (ca. 315). Ven. Irenarchus, Recluse, of Rostov (1616). Ven. Eleazar of Anzersk Island (Solovétsky Monastery—1656). Martyr Peter of Anium, at Hieropolis (ca. 309-320). St. James (Jacob), Bishop of Nisibis (350). St. Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers (4th c.). Ven. Maximus Kavsokalyvites (Mt. Athos—1320).
SAINT HILARY OF POITIERS
Saint Hilary, the great opponent of Arianism, was born around 320. He was raised as a pagan, but converted to Christianity as an adult. He became Bishop of Poitiers in 350. When the emperor Constantius II attempted to impose Arianism on the western Church, Saint Hilary led a vigorous opposition to his efforts. Because of his outspoken criticism, he was exiled to Phrygia in 356. There he became such a defender and champion of Orthodoxy that the emperor decided it would be less trouble to allow him to return to his diocese.
Saint Hilary continued to fight against Arianism until his death in 368. His holy relics still rest in the cathedral bearing his name at Poitiers in France.
He has lent his name to the “Hilary term” of English law courts and universities, which begin on or near his Feast Day.
TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA
Troparion of the Sunday, Tone 8
Thou didst descend from on high, O Merciful One! Thou didst accept the three-day burial to free us from our sufferings! O Lord, our Life and Resurrection: glory to Thee!
Troparion of the Theophany, tone 1
When You, O Lord were baptized in the Jordan The worship of the Trinity was made manifest For the voice of the Father bore witness to You And called You His beloved Son. And the Spirit, in the form of a dove, Confirmed the truthfulness of His word. O Christ, our God, You have revealed Yourself And have enlightened the world, glory to You!
Troparion of the saint, tone 4
Guide of Orthodoxy, teacher of piety and holiness, luminary of the world, God-inspired adornment of hierarchs, O wise Hilary, by thy teachings thou hast enlightened all, O harp of the Spirit. Intercede with Christ God that our souls be saved.
Kontakion of the saint, tone 4
Enduring exile for the Faith delivered to the Church of Christ, thou didst withstand the deceit of the Arians, O holy Hierarch Hilary. By thy prayers and thy teachings, O defender of Orthodoxy and right belief, convert the Western lands and entreat Christ for us, who honour thee.
Kontakion of the Theophany, tone 4
Today You have shown forth to the world, O Lord, and the light of Your countenance has been marked on us. Knowing You, we sing Your praises. You have come and revealed Yourself, O unapproachable Light.
Kontakion of the Sunday, Tone 8
By rising from the tomb, Thou didst raise the dead and resurrect Adam. / Eve exults in Thy Resurrection, / and the world celebrates Thy rising from the dead, O greatly Merciful One!
Ephesians 4:7-13 (Epistle, Sunday After)
- But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
- Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, and gave gifts to men.”
- (Now this, “He ascended” – what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth?
- He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
- And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
- for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,
- till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ
Matthew 4:12-17 (Gospel, Sunday After)
- Now when Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, He departed to Galilee.
- And leaving Nazareth, He came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is by the sea, in the regions of Zebulun and Naphtali,
- that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying:
- “The land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, by the way of the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles:
- The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light, and upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death Light has dawned.”
- From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”